An early episode of very hot weather is expected this weekend. Public Health France calls for vigilance and recalls the simple advice to adopt so as not to suffer from the effects of the heat wave on health.
To face this early episode of very hot weather, Public Health France recalls that the heat waves or high temperatures can have significant health effects for all of us. The health authorities therefore give some prevention advice aimed at everyone, but more particularly at people over the age of 65, people with disabilities or sick at home, dependent people and pregnant women.
“Episodes of heat wave can lead to several thousand hospitalizations and hundreds of excess deaths. It is therefore important not to wait for theappearance of warning signs such as :
- absence of urine for 5 hours or dark urine
- having flushes of sweat when drinking a glass of water
to start adopting preventive measures” underlines Public Health France, which recalls that it is important to protect yourself, even when the episode of high heat is short-lived.
How to protect yourself from high heat?
- Drink water regularly without waiting to be thirsty
- Cool off and wet your body (at least your face and forearms) several times a day
- Eat enough and don’t drink alcohol
- Avoid going out during the hottest hours and spend several hours a day in a cool place (cinema, municipal library, supermarket, museum, etc.)
- Avoid physical exertion (see our tips for exercising when it’s hot)
- Keep your accommodation cool (close windows and shutters during the day, open them in the evening and at night if it is cooler)
- Remember to regularly give your news to your loved ones and, as soon as necessary, dare to ask for help.
- Consult the Météo-France website regularly to find out about the evolution of the heat wave in your department.
>>During the day, shutters and windows must be kept closed on the sunny side. Their double obstacle in fact limits the entry of heat into the room and keeps it cooler without air conditioning. On the other hand, leave them open on the shaded side if this allows drafts to occur. In this case, hang a damp towel so that the evaporation cools the atmosphere. If it is not possible to create drafts with only shaded windows, keep them closed.
Setting up a toll-free “heat wave info service” number
Faced with the episode of very hot weather that we are facing this weekend, Brigitte Bourguignon, the current Minister of Health and Prevention, announced the activation, from this Thursday, June 16 at noon and until the end of this heat wave episodefrom the public information toll-free number: Heat wave info service on 0800 06 66 66 (free call from a landline in mainland France, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
This telephone platform provides advice on how to protect yourself and those around you, especially the most fragile, and how to adopt the right reflexes in the event of high temperatures.
At home or at your workplace, also plan the necessary equipment to fight against the heat: fogger, fan. And if you don’t have air conditioning, list the air-conditioned (or cool) places where you can cool off near your home: supermarkets, shops, cinemas, museums…
And do not hesitate to ask your doctor for advice, especially in the event of a health problem or regular drug treatment (dose adjustment for example).
In video: What do we eat to better resist the heat?
Read also :
Subscribe to the Top Santé Newsletter to receive the latest news for free
#Extreme #heat #protect #limit #risks #heat #waves